Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Resolutions

I know the time for New Year's resolutions was over a week ago, but I needed some time to really think it through. Resolutions are not something to be all willy-nilly about. They're serious business. I decided to go with eleven in honor of it being 2011.
For those of you who know me, if you see me straying from this list say something. No one would ever accomplish anything without motivation and people to keep them accountable. Well, maybe some people would but I am definitely not one of those people.

Resolutions:
(I hope you don't mind that I'm going to be speaking directly to myself.)

1. Gossip less. Be someone who never says anything about anyone that doesn't come from a loving place. Don't be petty. Let go of your judgments and become more open, accepting and tolerant. Remember to be kind and generous with your thoughts and especially your words.

2. Start a new book every month, and make some of those books informative about cultures you don't know much about. The more you know, the more you grow. Remember to constantly be changing your worldview. It will make you a better person.

3. Teach Kiddo at least one new useful life skill and one new sign. Remember repetition. Don't get discouraged and keep at it.

4. Lose weight. Not just the weight you gained by eating too much dressing and pie, but a substantial amount of weight. And, lose it the healthy way; slow and steady. Exercise more and implement portion control. Do not set ridiculous, unattainable goals like losing 40 lbs. in 3 months. Remind yourself everyday that your weight loss has to be about a long, healthy life. Do not make it about vanity because when it becomes about vanity you give up. Don't give up. If you eat Taco Bell on Saturday it doesn't give you an excuse to eat poorly on Sunday.

5. Volunteer your time and resources to at least two local organizations. Just because you may not have a lot of money to give doesn't mean you can't give your time. Do not just say you're going to and let it slip your mind. Actually go out and make it happen.

6. Remember your word for this year. (My mother-in-law told me she thinks my word for the year should be "release", which I think is absolutely perfect.) Stop stressing over things that are out of your control. Don't obsess over your future and make so many lists (except this list, of course) and timelines. Release your anxiety and learn to relax. You and Matt will accomplish your goals when you do. Matt will get into school if he's meant to. You will have children when God gives them to you. Just stop and release. Everything will always be okay.

7. Learn to cook. I mean really and truly learn to cook. Watch Matt, find recipes and go for it. Try to think of it as fun instead of your preconceived ideas about how hard it is. Ina didn't get where she is today by sitting around and thinking about how she'd like to start cooking. Get in the kitchen, start out simple and learn it. Then get good at it, but that can be next year's resolution...

8. Knit, sew and paint more this year. Learn new techniques. Find patterns that challenge you.

9. Get closer to God. Remember that no matter what it does not matter what you do or don't believe. All that matters is that you give thanks daily to the One who loves you and created you. Do not let your confusion about religion discourage your spirituality. Remember how much better you feel when you pray. Put your worries into God's hands. He (or She) has it under control.

10. Try your best daily to be a better wife, daughter, sister, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, granddaughter, niece, cousin, caretaker, and friend. If you fail one day, try harder the next.

11. Remind yourself daily of your blessings. Be thankful everyday that you get to wake up next to a husband you adore and go to a job that you love. Be thankful that you are capable of doing all the things on this list.

*Bonus Resolution:
This is more like a wish. Win the HGTV Deam Home. :)

9 comments:

  1. I could not have chosen even one resolution that I find more inspiring and meaningful as your eleven. As the one person you see the most, I will make my most important resolution to keep you on track with yours. In doing so, I will become a better person, lose weight and release just as you do. I love you so much and wish I could explain to you how truly proud of you I am. Good luck this year honey; I will be right by your side to push you and pick you up when you fall. I know you'll do the same for me.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley, those are all such great goals and I know you will accomplish them, especially with the support of your sweet sidekick husband, the best husband in the world! I love them all, but, oh, no gossiping?! What will we do while we sit on the couch knitting and talking?;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On second thought,let's not think of it as gossiping. Let's think of it as solving the world's problems, sort of like the world's smallest think tank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, that was a wonderful post. I can sense your beautiful spirit through it. Those are very worthy goals. makes me want to be a better too! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley,
    Just happened upon your blog and have enjoyed looking through it. I had to comment when I saw that you were A: reading the classics....I too have set this goal for myself- to read and reread many of the classics, B. wanting to win the HGTV dream house.... I loved this years and have always wanted to win (but, then I found out that people couldn't afford the taxes, so I stopped entering lol) C. new to gardening.... I started gardening the summer before last and now love it. I also do the container veggie gardening, And, D. that yellow is your favorite color....which has been my favorite color since I was little. I just posted about my favorite color yellow on my blog a few days ago.
    Just wanted to share some similarities with you.
    Happy New year and I hope you accomplish all of your resolutions!
    ~Sena

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful and inspiring resolutions Ashley! In reference to #2 (read more books and informative ones, too), I totally agree, and I have taken on the same goal. My best friend gave me some good advice. She reads an 'informative / less interesting' book at the same time as a 'fun' book of her choosing. She sets page reading goals on the 'informative' book i.e. at least 10 pages a day. I found this to be really helpful. It helps me get through a book that may be 'textbook-ish', and at the same time I can educate myself and learn about the world. Good luck with all of your New Year's resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I like the word release as a new word! Your header is fantastic, I love the change. Still working on mine. It's pretty generic right now. Just trying to clean it up. Not me just the header, lol!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearly, I had some catching up to do with your blog, but I just wanted to tell you that I love you so much and feel so blessed to have you as a friend! Even though everybody already said it...your resolutions really are inspiring and so well written. You're a such a talent and I will continue to be sad that we aren't neighbors cause if I could get a little bit of you to rub off on me girl....we'd be magic!! <3

    ReplyDelete