Matt and I had a great Father's Day with his family! Dan loves pie and loves peaches. We don't have a pie pan so I decided to make him the next best thing, a peach cobbler:) My mom makes peach cobbler all the time so I called her for the recipe, which was her grandmother's. This cobbler is always a big hit because it's delicious beyond words, and it is so unbelievably easy and quick! You could make it with any fruit and you could make more crust or add a larger portion of fruit depending on your preference:) Here's the recipe and directions. I hope you try it and love it as much as we do!
Grandmother's Peach Cobbler
3 32 oz. cans of sliced peaches (or 96 oz. of frozen or fresh peaches)
1 1/2 c. self-rising flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 cube butter
Grease a 9x13" baking dish. Drain and discard syrup from canned peaches and distribute the peaches evenly at the bottom of the dish. Lightly sprinkle lemon juice over the peaches. Liberally sprinkle cinnamon over the peaches as well. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and eggs. Hand knead until the dough is crumbly. Pour dough evenly over the peaches. Evenly place pads of butter on top of the dough. Bake at 375º for approx. 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Eat with vanilla ice cream:)
You may remember the beautiful strawberry cake Mona made Matt and me for our anniversary... I made the same cake last weekend for my Mom's birthday:) It turned out just as delicious but not nearly as pretty. The recipe is a Paula Dean one from Foodnetwork.com. I promised to share this yummy recipe so here it is!
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 (3-ounce) box strawberry-flavored instant gelatin
- 1 (15-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting, recipe follows
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and pureed
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 7 cups confectioners' sugar
- Freshly sliced strawberries, for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add pureed strawberries, eggs, oil, and water; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
For the frosting:
In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the strawberry puree and the vanilla extract. (The rest of the puree is leftover but can be used in smoothies or on ice cream for a delicious treat.) Gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread frosting in between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries, if desired.