Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Best Things in Life are Guilt Free:)


My husband dug this recipe out of an old cookbook of mine called The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook by Bay Brooks a couple of weeks ago. Since the first night he made it we have had it 4 times! Needless to say, it has become one of our most favorite of favorite dinners. I wasn't super excited about it or impressed with the looks of it, but believe me once you put that first bite in your mouth you will know exactly what I am talking about. I think it's the taco seasoning that does the trick. It is light and yet rich and tomato-y and yummy and actually very healthy! It uses rice noodles, which are my new found love. They are soooo much healthier than pasta noodles and just as tasty (to me). I have actually started to crave this dish. I am trying to lose weight (aren't we all) and have been counting calories. This is pretty much guilt free and pretty much the best so I give it two thumbs way up! Try it, you'll think it's delicious too ;)

Noodles with Vegetables and Herbs

Ingredients:
1 oz. butter
1 onion, sliced
1 small red chili, seeded, cut into strips
1 celery stick, sliced
1 carrot, sliced diagonally
2 tomatoes, peeled
1 tablespoon Taco seasoning mix
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
12 oz. thin fresh rice noodles

Directions:
1. Heat butter and a little oil in a pan. Add onion, chili, celery and carrot; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. cut tomatoes into thin wedges and remove seeds. Add seasoning mix, tomatoes, paste, wine, bay leaf and stock to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the herbs to sauce and stir until combined.
2. Cook the noodles in a large pan of boiling water until just tender; drain. Toss with sauce to serve. Serves 4-6.


5 comments:

  1. Oooh, I think I might be adding this to my recipe box, it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks delicious! I've been craving more veggie and fruit, just stocked up on produce goodies!
    xo,
    LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOOOO I could eat noodles ALL DAY LONG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I've been on the weight loss train since the fall and have been getting bored with my options. I'm definitely giving this a shot! I think the whole family would eat this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for "guilt-free" recipes, so thanks for sharing this one! Hope you're having a good day...

    ReplyDelete