Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Taste of Childhood

Tonight Matt and I had breakfast for dinner:) My mom is from Arkansas and my absolute favorite Arkansas recipe is called chocolate gravy and biscuits. Growing up it was the most amazing treat when my mom made it for us! When I was a teenager some of my closest friends and I all lived in the same neighborhood and we would all convince her to make it for us all the time. My poor mom made chocolate gravy and biscuits at 1:00am on too many occasions to count:) When I get a chocolate gravy craving I HAVE to have some or I feel like I might die. I have been craving it so bad this week so I decided to make some tonight and Matt made homemade biscuits. Ah, treasure to my taste-buds! If you love chocolate you have to try this. It is extremely rich and when you have it over some tasty biscuits with lots of butter you will feel like you've died and gone to heaven!
Chocolate Gravy:
Ingredients
1 cup sugar
2 heaping tbsp of self-rising flour
2 heaping tbsp of cocoa
1 1/2 cups milk
Instructions
Mix dry ingredients and set aside.
In medium saucepan heat milk on mediun-low heat.
Add dry ingredients and stir until thick.

*This takes quite a while to thicken. Don't worry it will eventually get thick. Just keep stirring until your wrist feels like it may break:)
Ingredients
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
1 cup buttermilk
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425°F. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl to blend. Using fingertips, rub 3/4 cup chilled butter into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir until evenly moistened. Using 1/4 cup dough for each biscuit, drop biscuits onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until biscuits are golden brown on top, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds tasty! I'm surprised to see that there is self rising flour in the chocolate sauce, I'd not have thought of that.

    ReplyDelete