All we did was chose a pretty, old rolling pin from Mona's collection (thank you Mona!) then cut off about a quarter of the width with a table saw. Next Matt marked the center on the cut side so he would know where to drill the holes for the knobs. Then he used a 1/8" drill bit to drill two holes, equal distances from either end of the rolling pin. Each hole extended all the way through to the front of the rolling pin. Using a 3/4" routing drill bit he drilled roughly 1/4" deep holes on the rounded side for the knobs to sit in. We went to the hardware store and found wooden knobs that matched the wood of the rolling pin. Drilling from the cut side again, he widened the 1/8" hole to about 1/4" about 3/4 of the way towards the rounded side to accommodate the screws that held the knobs into place. With the knobs seated on the rounded side, the screws were inserted from the cut side and tightened. Before he placed the knobs I spray painted them, let them dry, then distressed them to make them appear as old as the rolling pin. To mount the finished rolling pin hanger on the wall Matt drilled an additional two holes on the cut side to hang from two wood screws in a stud on our kitchen wall.
The outcome was just adorable! It sounds like a lot of work, but it really just took a couple of hours and was well worth it.
Rolling pin with the back removed and holes for the screws to attach the knobs and for mounting on the wall.
Hole routed to mount knob flush and screw to secure knob, inserted from cut side.
Now all I need is to make our aprons!