Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Joy of Relaxation

One of the things I love most about my new job as a caretaker is my afternoons off. I get Wes ready and off to school in the mornings, then pick him up after school and stay with him until about 6 or 7. It's perfect. Being a server for years, I have always had an erratic schedule that usually consisted of late nights and weekends. I slept late because I would get home so late, being hungry and wanting to wind down. So now I have much more time with the hubs as well as to myself. I am smart enough to know to take advantage of and enjoy this opportunity for it will soon pass me by. Pretty soon I will be in school again and then hopefully I will have a family of my own keeping me busy. A bigger house to clean, much more laundry to do, more nutritious and larger meals to prepare, a more demanding work schedule.... I get tired just thinking about it, but really excited at the same time:) 
For now, I have been relishing my late morning/early afternoon me-time... I have a chance to run errands and get things done, and usually I spend a chunk of time blogging, knitting, or reading. Sometimes I do all of them:) Today it was nice outside so I went out to our pretty little patio with a hot cup of coffee (with extra creamer, as you can see) and continued reading The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I'm only about two thirds of the way through it, but I am fully in love with it. I love the New York setting and the whole idea of a quaint yarn shop and a fun knitting club. It is a far-fetched dream of mine to own a yarn/coffee shop... Maybe one day I'll hit the lottery and fulfill it!
Last week I finished up Alice's Tulips by the talented Sandra Dallas. Again, I just adored it. I read Persian Pickle Club by her about a month or so ago and also enjoyed it so much (read post about it here). In Alice's Tulips you learn more about the history of quilting, which was amazing. This one takes place during the Civil War and was a total tear-jerker. Both are such great reads. 
When we went to the bookstore I picked up The Reader by Bernhard Schlink to read next. I saw the movie while it was at the show and was so moved by it. It was such an amazing movie. If you haven't seen it you should definitely rent it. It's a bit racey in the beginning, but the story is so great. Kate Winslet was incredible in it. There is a surprising secret that just tears up the lives of these people. Anyways, I've heard the book was even better so I'm excited to read it. I may read the sequel to my current book (Knit Two) first, but maybe not. I'll keep you posted on what I think! 

1 comment:

  1. so like getting to know good peeps..by the way you get prettiest wedding of the year award...wonderful!!! you are going on the blog roll...

    ReplyDelete